Wrong! There is No Such Thing!
Lots of times when I talk to my clients about insurance, the conversation goes like this:
Me: You have insurance coverage, right? Bike accidents can be pretty serious; you need to be protected.
Client: Yep. I’m good. I’ve got Full Coverage. (Emphasis on the “full”)
Me: Well, I hate to burst your bubble but there is no such thing. Policies have a limits and restrictions. And, if you don’t have the RIGHT coverage, you may not be covered as well as you think you are.
Client: For real? My insurance agent said I was good.
Me: (smacks forehead.)
We could go on all day, so let me get to the point. Insurance is tricky. And, insurance companies are in business to make money. They do that by selling policies and not paying out claims. But as a motorcycle rider in Texas, not only do you need insurance – you need the right insurance. That means coverage for liability, property damage and uninsured motorists (UM).
You can get your policy from the same insurance carrier as your auto, or you can do it separately. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. If you bought your insurance with a few clicks on a website, rather than by having an agent who understands your unique needs, you might have saved a few bucks in the short term….but it might cost you big time if you have a crash.
Some things to consider:
- If you have “regular access” to your motorcycle – you are legally required to have insurance. Kind of like how you are legally required to carry a policy on every car in your garage. Insurance companies won’t cover injury or uninsured motorist’s claims on your bike if you don’t have coverage.
- The average cost of a medical ambulance helicopter ride in Texas is $25,000. And that only gets you to the hospital’s door. It doesn’t include one stitch of actual hospital care. You think being laid up for a few days or weeks with serious injuries is gonna be anything other than crazy-expensive? Do you have the kind of insurance and enough insurance to cover hundreds of thousands (or millions) in medical and rehab costs?
- One in 8 drivers in Texas don’t have insurance. DID YOU READ THIS? Do you like your chances with the yahoos out there texting while going 85 MPH on the interstate? Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage helps keep a bad situation from getting worse. What about the cager who won’t or can’t pay? This is where UM protects your ass.
- Don’t be penny wise and pound foolish. The cost difference between a minimum policy and top-of the-line-coverage is often only dollars a month. But, the difference between $30,000 in coverage and $500,000 in coverage could be life changing if needed. Especially, if facing hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills or lost wages
- Worried yet? Well, don’t be. Click the button below to schedule a Free Insurance Review, and we’ll make sure you are covered. Because the best time to make sure you are covered, is BEFORE you ever get in a wreck.
- Every single day, all of us at BikerLawyer.com fight insurance companies to get maximum recovery for our clients. Let us use our years of experience to help you to make sure you have the insurance coverage you need.